What is the NIN and Why you need it


What is the NIN and Why you need it

Hey guys! Do you want to work here in London? Then you should have a NIN… Don’t alarm yourself! If you don’t know what is it and how to get it, here you have the explanation of everything 😉

UK-geo-stubWhat is it

A National Insurance number (NIN) is a unique number allocated to you to identify you while you are in the UK.

It ensures that the HM Revenue & Customs (UK’s tax and customs authority) and the Department of Work and Pensions are able to track the contributions you’ve made to the UK social security and state pension system.

In order to work in the UK you should have your own NIN. If you have just arrived, don’t worry. You can start working before get the national Insurance Number. You simply need to tell your employer that you’ve applied for one, and once you get it you should give it to your employer.

But watch out! If you don’t have a NIN number, you will be required to contribute more than normal in NIN payments, so it’s wiser to get your NIN number as soon as possible.

job centre plusHow to get the NIN

In order to get your National Insurance number, you need to call a Jobcentre Plus to apply for it.

Of course you can do it only if you prove that you have the right to work or study in the UK. Plus if you are moving to the UK, you can apply only after you got here.
Once you contact the Jobcentre Plus they can ask you for an interview and they will book you an appointment at your nearest Jobcentre office.


interviewThe interview

The interview will usually be one-to-one (unless, for example, you need an interpreter). They’ll ask you about your situation and the reason why you want to get a National Insurance Number.

Don’t panic, it’s not a big deal! The interview focus, as already said, is about why do you want to obtain the NIN, if you are planning to claim benefits after getting the NIN, and proof of your address.

So, at the interview you’ll be asked to bring some documents like passport/identity card, residence permit, birth/adoption certificate, marriage/civil partnership certificate, driving license.
During the interview they’ll tell you how long it’ll take to receive you National Insurance Number and an application form will be completed and you will be asked to sign this form.

What If you’ve lost your NIN

If you have your NIN but you lost it, you can fix the problem filling a form (CA5403) that you can find in the official web site (www.gov.uk) or call the helpline.

So now you have all the info that you need. Are you ready to get your NIN and live your dream in London?

Read more

Tips to find a job in London

Read more

Job salary in London